Monday 20 January 2014

Ogres Smashed

So Sunday's game against the Vampire Counts was an absolute mess and loss miserably. A combination of not realising Vampire Counts were Unbreakable in combat and a mass session of rolling 1s and 2s my Ogres were stomped off the battlefield! I enjoyed the game don't get me wrong, it was nice to play a bigger game and get some training with the Ogres against a fellow new player but I definitely learnt some things yesterday;

  • Mournfang Are Devastating - First turn they smashed into a unit of 25 raised zombies. Wiped them out with ease with taking no wounds and then overran into a large group of ghouls. After that a unit of 10 Hexwraiths accompanied by a mounted Vampire charged the front too. The 4 Mournfang spent almost the whole battle fighting these two units wiping out all but one of the Hexwraiths and numerous ghouls before finally dying in the last turn. If Vampire Counts weren't Unbreakable I would've easily broke both of these units in the first couple of turns. 
  •  Target the Characters - This was my naivete in the game but I didn't realise you could target characters within units in close combat. If I'd known that from the off I would've tried to take out his Vampires and Vampire Lord before they started dishing the pain. At one point when the Ironguts engaged the Vampire Lord and Graveguard the Vampire Lord was rolling 7 re-rollable attacks hitting on a 2+, getting about 5 wounds unsaved (mainly due to my awful armour saves) then rolling another 5 attacks.
  •  I Must Get Better at Deployment - I used my two Sabertusks on the flanks on the first two drops as they're meant to. However Harper had 2 units of 5 Direwolves to use as the same. Meaning that after two deployment drops each I still had no idea what he was lining up with. I tried to match up certain things against each other, however lining up the Ironblaster up against the Terrorghiest was probably a wrong move as he basically flew it straight over first turn and then screamed the cannon to death without me getting to use it.
So yeah a great day and I'm looking forward to playing the tournament on the 2nd Feb, even if I'll probably be propping up the table!

Once the tournament is done I'll be then focusing on getting a big enough Lizardmen army on the go. I won a Stegadon off eBay for less than £20 so it'll be a welcome addition. I already have plans to pick up a Slann Mage Priest, Skink Priest, some Ripperdactyls and the awesome Carnosaur model next month after payday. From there I'm hoping I'll have the makings of a decent Lizardmen army to get stuck into!

No comments:

Post a Comment