Monday 16 December 2013

First FOW Training



So I had my first training session in Flames of War on Sunday at my (not so) local Wargaming club, Northumbrian Adventurers Guild in Blyth. I had expressed my interest in starting Flames of War in 2014 and Neil, who has been playing since mid-way through the 1st edition very kindly offered to teach me the rule this weekend.

He gave me a generous Late-War Tiger-heavy Panzergrenadier list against his British Armoured column and I've got to say I absolutely loved the whole day. The boards with all the scenery really makes the game look amazing at such a small-scale, you can picture the tanks rumbling down the village road while troops tackle the fields nearby to launch an attack.

While the basic rules are pretty simple to grasp we tackled some of the more in-depth rules and it's very easy to see how complex and tactical this game can be. For example in the first game I freely moved my Tiger command unit and two Tiger platoons towards the objective and then suddenly Neil ambushed them with some M10 Tank Destroyers and wiped out two and bailed one in one shooting phase! It really teaches you to not just rush up but to use the surrounding cover and expect the unexpected.

I'm going to playing a few more practice games at the club over the next few weeks with a view to possibly starting a Winter Volksgrenadier army from The Battle of the Bulge in Jan/Feb time.

No comments:

Post a Comment