Thursday 20 March 2014

More Nid Progress!

So, tonight I've spent the night doing more Nids. After deciding on the Hive Fleet Kraken my Army Painter Skeleton Bone and Strong Tone Quickshade has arrived. I thought if I've got a huge swarm to paint I may as well find a quick and easy way to paint them.

I did make an initial mistake with the primer, unlike normal primers you have to keep moving the can as if you were fogging the models rather than spraying directly onto the model. I should've tried a gaunt as a sample to see how the spray worked but in my eagerness I chose three Warriors and a Carnifex. Unfortunately I've applied the primer a little too heavy, trying to cover up certain spots that weren't primed I didn't cloud them and instead focused on certain areas. It's not too bad but definitely learnt my lesson and the next four warriors I primed looked a hell of a lot better!

Yeah I know it's cheating using a coloured primer but it's so much quicker. The models look great with all the skin done already and it's a whole lot easier to paint them, so I can see a huge swarm being done in pretty quick fashion.

I also purchased the Army Painter Wargamers Most Wanted Paint Set, it includes a Regiment normal brush, a Insane Detail Brush and a Small Drybrush. The stem of the paintbrush is triangular though and straight away I could feel the difference in being able to control my brush strokes compared to the GW brushes.




So here's the warrior, pretty simple of Mephiston Red on the Carapace, Moot Green on the vents, gun and tounge and that's about it. I've not done any shading yet as I'm not sure whether to paint it on or dip it. I think for mess-sake I'll be dipping. Though I want to test it on a Gaunt this weekend and see what happens. I also want to try the GW Seraphim Sepia wash over the Skin to see whether I need to use the Strong Tone Quickshade.

The Carnifex I've only done the Carapace at the moment and after using the large Drybrush I've made a little mess on the skin, it's not too bad though and can easily be touched up using Ushabti Bone. You can see the priming error on the front of the large carapace where I've applied too much. Hopefully once the shading is on and the rest of the model is painted it'll still look good on the battlefield, and if it doesn't? Well I've still got another four in the display cabinet to use! The previous bloke who sold me the Nids converted the guns to give the twin-linked Devourers more of a lethal look rather than the short stubby ones that the Carnifex normal have and I quite like it. I won't be doing it on the others but it does make this one unique. I'm not too sure on what colour to make the ends of the guns though, I'm thinking the Moot Green again will really make them pop and look alien like but also leaning towards one of the purples I've used in my Tau.

Anyway second training game tomorrow using my Tau at GW Metrocentre, should be good fun. Then got my second tournament in Fantasy at NAG on Sunday. We're doing a random table tournament where armies are already set up on the tables and we're drawn to a table, roll off and the highest picks whichever army they want and then we play. It'll be quite fun and hopefully I can try out some random Fantasy armies I've not played yet. The tables will be set up with the following armies on them;

Table 1 - Lizards vs. Demons
Table 2 - Wood Elves vs. Beastmen
Table 3 - Warriors vs. Empire
Table 4 - Dark Elves vs. Ogres
Table 5 - Warriors vs. Skaven
Table 6 - Skaven vs. Dwarves
Table 7 - Dark Elves vs. Demons


Knowing my luck I'll get Ogres and Empire! Cheers for reading again and comments on the Kraken will be Kraken!...(cracking...kraken...get it? I'll leave now)

No comments:

Post a Comment