Wednesday 9 April 2014

FOW and Bolt Action

Ah-Hoy-Hoy fellow readers, this busy period of work seems to be relentless and I'll be honest I've hardly done anything recently painting-wise. I've got a few of the Nids that are on the production line painted up ready for dipping. I ended up doing the one Warrior and Carnifex that I had basecoated to test the dripping on larger models and they're looking great.

I'll be working on the basecoating to get big squads done at once and then go and dip them, otherwise I'm switching between painting and dipping and not really achieveing anything of substance. The Anti-Shine Matt Varnish is going to be applied right at the end once everything is finished, granted by the end of it I'll be sick of adding Matt Varnish but it needs to be done because the Nids are way too shiny at the moment.

With the weather being so crappy recently the plan on doing a lot of spraying has gone out the window, thankfully the rain and fog that has plagued the last week seems to have surrendered for the time being and I think on Thursday when the girlfriend is away I'll be doing alot of priming throughout the night, I might even get a couple of spray boxes on the go at once so I'm not waiting between spraying for the next lot of models to get primed.

So what have I done this week? Well if the title of this post hasn't given it away I've been doing my Volksgrenadier Flames of War army, or what was paintable at the time. So I've finally finished 5 stands of Infantry and 3 of the StuG Gs. Hopefully if I get prepped I can get the rest of the Infantry and the last remaining Stug G primed on Thursday night in one go, I might just need alot of Blu Tac to keep them upright!

The Volks So Far (Greenstuff has been painted and covered)

I've also dusted off my Soviet Union Bolt Action army that I bought and painted in a couple of weeks for NAG back in June/July of last year. A couple of the guys (Neil - who taught me Flames of War and Jim - who I've played Fantasy against a few times) at the club have decided to start up the game both with British forces and I thought this would be a great time to dust them all off and pick up the rules again. I've been reading up on the rules the past week and remembered it being pretty simple and straight forward so should be easy to get back into the swing of things.

The one thing I didn't get done last time around was basing the models, so far I've got a full 500pts + of Soviets, fully painted but without a single bit of basing material on them! I think I'll be doing a pretty simple sand and flock job on these with a couple of extra bits on the MMG and Mortar teams who already have a couple of rocks on the bases. I've been looking at expanding the army to 1,000pts as that's the aim for the others, I can see it being pretty simple and straight forward to do with a couple of Zis-3 Anti-Tank guns, a HMG and a Flamethrower team plus a couple of extra bits. I wanted to add a T34 mainly because I love the tank and wanted one in the army but to be honest at almost 200pts for a Regular tank it's 1/5th of my force which could be used on other bits.

I won't be purchasing anything at the moment though as I'm going to be focusing on getting the Flames of War army units primed and painted, the Nids basecoated and the Soviets all based. It'll probably be May before I drop the money on the extra bits for Bolt Action and the remainder of my Flames of War army.

In other news I was voted in as the new NAG secretary. Going to be a busy year and I'll be firing across some advertising to numerous forums I use to get people knowing that there is a great club up in the North East. Hell who knows we could even have the first proper North East Wargames tourne?

Hopefully they'll be more of an update on Friday once I get everything all primed and sorted, now watch it rain for 24 hours on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment