Tuesday 1 April 2014

What a Week!

Well that was unexpected, everything went tits up at work with deadlines popping up everywhere meaning most of my social life for this week has gone out of the window (boo!). It also means I've made no progress with my Nids and at the moment sits with a cabinet full of grey plastic waiting for the moment to prime everything with the Skeleton Bone Spray!

I did manage to test one Gaunt with the Army Painter Strong Tone and after drying for 24 hours it looks to have dried pretty darn good. As expected I need to use the Anti-Shine Matt Varnish over the top as it's rather bright and shiny at the moment. I think my plan this week, as the mrs is working nights again, is to get alot of the Gaunts and Warriors that are primed all painted up and ready for painting on dip.

Then I can do another batch of dipping in one night and have the starts of a finished army already. I've still got to base all the models after painting but I think, especially for the smaller troops, I'll be doing a very basic base and paint scheme while focusing on the larger models for details on the models/more detailed basing.

Now the clocks have gone forward and the nights are lighter I can do quite a bit of priming in the evening, hooray! Well once the weather has decided whether it wants to be dry or raining/foggy. Once I get the majority of the troops done I can get them packed away in a carry case so I can focus on building/painting the larger monsters to fill the display cabinet.

I did participate in the NAG Fantasy Tournament a couple of Sundays back now. I didn't fare the greatest (3rd from last) but it was such a fun day. First game I played James in a Beastmen vs Wood Elves affair, I won the roll and chose to use the Beastmen however I didn't realise the shooting prowess of the Wood Elves and those pesky bowmen of the forest had shot the majority of my Combat-orientated army off the table before I could get across. Also who's idea was it not to give the Ghorgon no armour save what so ever?

Second game I got to try out the new Dwarves against a Skaven list manned by Martin which I was really looking forward to. I absolutely loved this army and the new units including the Gyrobomber that in one turn almost wiped out the Hell Pit Abomination in one turn. I used the Gyrocopter to great use too flying right up to a Stormvermin unit and almost covering the whole thing with a Flame Template. There were a lot of crispy-fried Skaven after the template lifted. I did win but after initial thoughts by both of us of a 20-0 win my inability to completely wipe out a unit meant it was a 16-4 victory instead. Not too bad for the new Dwarves but I'm holding off any urge I have for a stuntie army.

Finally it was Daemons vs Lizardmen against another James. I wasn't fussed on which army I got to use having both of these sitting in a cabinet at home and yet to be able to field them. James won the roll and chose the Daemons so I finally got to try the Lizardmen. My first turn the Salamanders moved forward and both flame breaths rolled a 8 on the distance and covered the Plaguebearers Units. 26 hits, 20 wounds and 16 dead on the first turn....that was an amazing thing from the Salamanders who then spent the rest of the game in close combat with the Beasts of Nurgle. Unfortunately the Salamanders were really only the one thing which did well as the Bloodcrushers one hit killing blowed by Scar Vet on Cold One and my Skinks were wiped out before they even got to hit back by Chariots with a ridiculous amount of impact hits.

So yeah not the greatest in games across the board but some very enjoyable games none-the-less. There is talk of a 4-Player Triumph and Treachery game a week on Sunday which I've been invited for. I think I'll give either my Lizardmen or Empire a run out for that game which should be a great laugh for the day.

Stayed tuned later in the week for more updates on the Nids.

No comments:

Post a Comment